Author Napolean Hill says “A goal is a dream with a deadline.” I believe that’s true. Instead of saying someday I will, I’ve decided to set goals to reach for the next 90 days. Why? The alternative would allow my fear of relapse to keep me from moving my life forward. And, it would enable the fact that I have an autoimmune disease (igg4-rd)to limit my future. No way!
1. Set a publication date for my book, Chronic (formerly named Healed) in March (Autoimmune awareness month). I’ve submitted to publishers and gotten notes that ‘memoirs by people who aren’t famous don’t sell. Even one copy is a victory to me. I will release it so that all people who live with an autoimmune disease, relapsing disease or chronic illness/pain will know that it is possible cope with a medical ailment that cannot be cured.
2. Register for a course to complete another degree I started a long time ago (pave the way for a new career as a teacher/professor or whatever I chose). I’m certain not to old to learn. I read and share newly acquired knowledge every day at my present job.
3. Plan a trip that’s more tha a week long with my family (time is precious and want to spend it with those I love.)
4. Begin the adoption application process (I’ve always wanted to be a mom and this maybe the only way for me to do so)
5. I’ll stand on my own two feet and take a long walk without the assistance of a cane for the first time in two years. January 15th is the end of my chosen 90 day period. All of my restorative procedure will be complete.
When I finished my list the lyrics to one of my favorite songs from the musical, “Rent,” popped into my head:
“There’s only now, there’s only here
Give in to love or live in fear
No other path, No other way
No day but today”
There is no way I can justify not accomplishing my goals. I prayed for this respite for decades. I had procedures, saw doctors, and took pills to get to this point. I fought for the chance to succeed, to thrive, to live my dreams. And, I will. No Excuses.
#spoonies #disability #invisibleillness #autoimmunedisease #igg4 #aarda #chronicillness #chronicpain #noexcuses #rent #NapoleanHill #stephenhawking